Friday, January 13, 2012

Mumble Mumble Mumble.

Heya. So, can we talk? I mean, nerd to nerd. Because we need to have a talk. About Batman. Duh. Specifically,  I think we all need to come to the realization that The Dark Knight Rises won't be as good as The Dark Knight.
Ok, so before you break me like Bane broke the Bat, hear me out. Let me start simply. The Dark Knight Rises is the third and final installment in the new Batman trilogy, directed by the amazing Christopher Nolan, that began with Batman Begins. If you haven't seen the trailer, see it here. 
Now, the second movie, The Dark Knight, is easily one of the best movies of my generation. That's not me nerdgasming, it's one of the highest rated, critically acclaimed, most watched box office hits of all time. It also was nominated for several Academy Awards, and Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of The Joker.  If you haven't seen these movies, stop reading and go watch them, right the hell now.
I'm excited for the new movie, the last movie, a lot. The trailer made me squeal like a little girl. However, I think there is an issue the nerd/fandom community hasn't really addressed. 
Look, I'm not saying the movie won't be good, I think it'll be awesome. I just want to talk about expectations. The Dark Knight was such a good movie, for a number of great and sad reasons, including a combination of great writing, great acting, the right time to be made, the right viral marketing campaign, and the publicity from Heath Ledger's untimely death before the release of the film. Movies like this come as the result of a perfect storm of great things. 
It's really, really, hard to catch lightning in a bottle again. Will the next film be awesome? I think so. I hope so. But we all have to come to terms with the fact it's probably going to fall short of The Dark Knight. Is it impossible? No, The Godfather Part II was at least as good as the first part, many people say they enjoy it more. 
So, why is it important we recognize this fact before the movie comes? Because I'm sick of nerd bitching. And I know it's coming. People will going into this movie expecting the next part to top the one that came before, and I doubt that's going to happen. So they'll leave the theater unfulfilled. It's not that they saw a shitty movie, they probably saw a great movie, a movie that, if it wasn't a sequel, they would have raved about. Instead, when people ask them how the movie was, they'll shrug and say "it was ok." Some people (read: nerds) will have this nagging sense of doubt and unhappiness. And I don't want to hear it. Chris Nolan has given us nothing but quality pictures filled with character development, story, pathos, action and drama. All of them. Every.Single.Movie. 
Of course, I could be wrong, the movie could suck balls. It won't, but it could. I could also be wrong, in the sense that this could be better than The Dark Knight. If anyone could do it, it'd be Nolan. 

Also, Bane sounds fine, shut the hell up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment